Thursday, October 4, 2007

Frankfurt to Cologne

Alright being the car guy I am this was the highlight of my trip. Of course, besides all the beer cause I am a beer guy as well. We hopped on the autobahn again and headed up to Cologne Germany to experience everything it has to offer. Yeah that was cheesy. On the way we stopped by Nurburgring. This is a racetrack that is now used for public use. They used to use it to test new cars. It was nothing like I had expected. This was the real deal. For 19 Euros, you take your car on there and drive it as hard as you want. When we got there Mercedes was testing there brand new SLR Mclaren's. HOLY SHIT!! These cars about about $1 million bucks a pop. They were all over the place.


So we weren't able to drive until later on that evening. So we decided to get to Cologne and check into our hotel explore a little bit while we still had the car. So we got there and checked in. We then went to the Dom. This cathedral was spectacular.


After we were done there, we had to go back to Nurburgring and drive the track.
I got to take the BMW 525 on the race track. Guess Europcar never knew we'd put there car to the test. The tires were smoking after the first lap around the track. I will post a video of the lap around the track. What an amazing experience. I think I'm going to take up track racing now.

While racing around the track there was a porsche and a lamborghini that past me. This was the real deal. There were so many nice cars there. I think next time I'm coming back with my car.


From there, we drove back to Cologne letting the adrenaline die down. Because we had to come back this screwed up our plans a little bit. We had to end up taking the car back to the airport. We had no idea how we were going to get back to the hotel. We finally figured out partially how to get back halfway. The from there we walked.

The night in cologne was fairly mellow. We had to get up early to catch our train to Amsterdam.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I say is it sounds so awesome! I envy you for being able to test drive a car of that caliber! How did the car handle? Did it put a dent in your wallet? Did you need to purchase Insurance? What ever it set you back I believe it was well worth it!
Dusty

Marshall said...

Hell yea! All those cars gets me blood boilin'

Anthony "The Hedge" Ito said...

It was a little pricey. We paid extra to have the all inclusive insurance. Well worth it in my opinion. It actually handled pretty well for a full size car. It was nothing though compared to some of the cars there.