Saturday, September 22, 2007

A diverse culture

The overwhelming feeling that I got from our first day in the Geneva Switzerland is one of diversity. Everywhere we went we saw people and heard languages from all over the world. How refreshing to see such different cultures living and working together. My apprehensions about how we would be received as Americans were put to rest. I feel very much at home here. Even when we were sitting at an Arabic hookah bar with older gentleman that did not speak English the enthusiasm in there interactions with each other transcended any language barrier.



This city is rich in culture and history. At one point we were walking down an empty alleyway in the old town and I could not help be feel that this must be what it looked like back in the 16th century when Geneva was the "Vatican" of the European Reformation. I could almost imagine John Calvin standing on the steps of St. Pierre Cathedral giving one of his sermons.


One more special place we visited was the United Nations Outpost in Geneva, the second office after the headquarters in New York. I got to stand by and touch the three legged chair which is a memorial to all those who have been the victims of the barbaric use of land mines around the world. It affected me more than I thought it would.


Well, it's just getting to be midnight here so we need to get some rest because we have a 07:10 train in the morning to Interlaken in the Swiss Alps. We should have some great picture for everyone tomorrow.
Nick

1 comment:

Marshall said...

Remember all the backs of chairs that you broke, Nick? I'd like to think that those are a memorial of your barbaric dedication to web browsing.